Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chance Meeting IV

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit.
How could I have been so careless?

I was so distracted by this mere human that i'd almost forgotten about the dangers in the school. Cursing my slow reflexes, I jumped back. Gazing hard at Asuka and the gun in her hand, I drew my sword and the blade glinted at the hope of bloodshed. I was prepared for anything

However, I was not prepared for Sayuri to leap in between us, arms stretched out with no fear.

Sayuri: STOP THIS! Weren't you two...didn't you two used to be friends?

I stiffened, and I could see Asuka freeze.
This human girl, is much more perceptive than I thought.

Asuka: No.
Asuka
Asuka: We were never...friends.

She said the word like a disease and for a moment, I felt something twist painfully in my chest.
Sayuri shook her head, black hair following her like a banner.

Sayuri: That's a lie. I can read your auras. They're familiar with each other... comfortable...close...

Sayuri sounded almost wistful. I blinked as Asuka locked eyes with me. She looked back at Sayuri who held her gaze with determination. I couldn't see her facial expression but something made Asuka sigh and holster her gun.

Asuka: Don't look at me like that...I'm not lying to you.

She looked at me coldly and I tightened my grip on my blade. I wasn't going to have any openings but I did feel the need to explain to Sayuri.

Sora: We were childhood friends

I was speaking quietly, while mentally building up a barrier. This way, no one would be able to hear our conversation.

Sora: We used to always play together, under the tree in a field near here. We promised to always be friends. But... one day, she didn't come.

Asuka looked away, her short hair shielding her eyes. Sayuri had relaxed her stance, looking back at me with her brown eyes.

Sayuri: Why not?
Sora: To be honest...I don't know.

I was replying truthfully. Sayuri glanced at Asuka before her eyes widened with understanding. What was that all about? Asuka, who was still looking away, clenched her fists.

Sayuri: Oh Asuka...
Her voice was soft, soothing. I swallowed.
Sora: After that, the next time we saw each other, she pulled her gun on me and told me that we were enemies.

Sayuri touched Asuka's shoulder, in a comforting gesture.

Sayuri: Asuka... it's all in the past. You surely don't think that...

Asuka spun around, her face a vision of absolute rage and hatred. She fixed her pointed stare at me and her words were like poison.

Asuka: I don't care what I think. All I want is him to stay out of my business and away from the people I love! He... he's... He's a...!
Sayuri: But...
Asuka: SHUT UP SAYURI! WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW? WHAT COULD YOU EVER KNOW?

Sayuri's face fell--her eyes darkened and Asuka gasped, taking a step forward, her hand outstretched like she was going to offer her apology. Sayuri turned away, her eyes dark and empty. I was shocked though I didn't show it. One moment she was so full of life and now... What was going on?

Asuka: Oh... Sayuri... I didn't mean...
Sayuri: No, you did. But that's okay.

Her voice was bitter as she walked away, Asuka chased after her but not before whispering a warning to me.

Asuka: I warned you Minami. Stay away.

I scoffed as she left, sheathing my sword. I looked down at it as the hilt glinted in the light, as though asking a question

Sora: I know... I need to find out about Sayuri's past.

No comments:

Post a Comment